Naughty me, I do not have any before photos for this refashion, oh well, use your imagination, please!
My mum had a hideous long padded jacket thing, two sizes too big for her and just, well, a bit too jazzy for my liking. Coupled with the elasticated hemline and large padded sleeves, it was like the Michelin Man on acid! We were wondering what to do with it, the fabric is very heavy and woolly, when it caught the eye of him indoors. He liked it! It was very native South American, he proclaimed. It was also big enough for a waistcoat. Mum kindly unpicked the sleeves and removed the padded lining, and left me with the body shell to play with.
Several fittings later I had managed to reshape the neckline, hemline and armholes to fit him indoors. Once I was happy with the shape I made a pattern from it for later use, saves doing it all over again the next time he wants a waistcoat!
Next, the problem of fraying arose. It seems I would have to do something with all the seams to stop them from unravelling. Taping them over appeared to be the only solution, and I had two lots of bias binding to hand. I used a wide stiff bias binding around the hemline and the two front edges, and the narrower and more flexible stuff on all the other seams, see below, the hem is at teh bottom and the other seam showing is one of the side seams.
Here are the shoulder, arm and neck seams
Front edge seams, I had to cover the poppers on the inside as the fabric edges were now exposed following the removal of the lining, him indoors didn't want them working anyway as he wouldn't use them.
There is a gentle curve to the hemline both front and back.
The eagle eyed amongst you may notice that the poppers are a ladies fastening, I did offer to remove them but him indoors was not particularly bothered by this as he likes them there for decoration. He is unlikely to be mistaken for a woman, unless he is in Bridlington!
He wore it yesterday for our day out to Kenilworth Castle, and got a few admiring glances, well, I think they were admiring glances!